Monday, August 10, 2009

Models of Complexity

OK, I apologize for the implication that models are a paradigm of complexity.

The issue I've been discussing for the past several days with several colleagues is: "What do you mean by a model?" This stems from the fact that the term "model" means something different in science (esp. physics), math and engineering.

The reason for the problems stem from the fact that each domain has excellent reasons to adopting their unique definition. Each definition is right in some aspect, yet each is wrong. I have proposed a definition of a model extending from mathematical concepts. Everyone jumped on me for being "too theoretical". And here I thought I had some very practical, easy-to-use reasons for the math-centric foundation that allowed it to extend easily and map across the domains.

That's what I get for thinking ...

No comments: